Friday, July 1, 2011

Audio Books and eBooks

I am trying to decide a strategy for audio and ebooks in my libraries.

Tigerton Elementary:  access to internet, 17 ipod touches and many playaways
Tigerton High:  4 nooks, 5 ipads, internet
Marion Elementary: internet
Marion High: internet

I'd like to look at databases that would allow me to subscribe everyone to the same things.  This year I purchased an annual subscription to one click audio as well as follett ebook packages.  The ebook packages are ours to keep, but the audio book subscription is an annual renewal.  The problem is that not many people used either of these things so I am looking for ways to promote ebooks and audiobooks.  There are some great things on each.  This was only in Tigerton last year, but looking to expand to Marion as well.

The ipads and ipods do have books downloaded on them.  I plan to expand that program by putting all of the battle of the books that I can find on each of them.  Hopefully that will increase the usages of the devices.

Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks,
Janel

2 comments:

  1. I'll be really interested to hear about your experiences, especially with the ebook readers. Our district just started buying iPads. For next year, we've purchased some Follett ebooks and are supposed to be getting mini-PCs to circulate so students without internet at home can have their books downloaded. [staff can download the Follett ebooks -- at least, library staff can]. They'll only be a few per school.

    One of my Middle Schools is almost a one to one computer school, so that's mostly about letting them know wh
    at's available.

    One of my principals wants to get some ebook readers to circulate, because he thinks the cool factor will increase reading. I'm willing to give it a try, but if anyone has any experiences or policies to share, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had very low "readership" of our downloadable audiobooks. I think this has to do with poor marketing attempts on my part unfortunately. We just got the downloadable ebooks this year and I am hoping to roll out information about each and engage in ways to increase readership. At one school we have an ipad initiative which will help. The others I will just need to come up with creative solutions.

    ReplyDelete